May 27, 2015 | western
Ingredients: makes 6 roses
• 2 red organic apples
• 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
• Half lemon, juice
• 3 tablespoons of strawberry jelly (flavor is optional)
• 1 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
• Cinnamon (optional)
• Powder sugar for decorating (optional)
Preparation Time: About 20 minutes to prepare, plus 45 minutes to bake.
1. Thaw the puff pastry if you haven’t done so. It should take about 20-30 minutes.
2. Prepare a bowl with some water and add lemon juice. Cut apples in half, remove the core and cut apples in paper thin slices. Leave the peel so it gives a red color to your roses. Right away, place sliced apples in the same bowl with lemon and water that way they won’t change color.
3. Microwave the apples in the bowl for about 3 minutes to make them slightly softer. You can also simmer apple slices in a small pan over low heat.
4. Unwrap puff pastry over a clean and lightly floured counter. Using a rolling pin stretch the dough a little, trying to keep it in a rectangular shape. Cut the dough in 6 strips. These are about 2in x 9in (5cm x 22cm).
5. In a bowl place 3 tablespoons of strawberry jelly plus 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for about 1 minute to make jelly easier to spread. Spread jelly on the dough.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Drain apples slices and place on dough as shown below. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you’d like.
8. Fold up the bottom part of the dough as shown below.
9. Now carefully roll, seal the edge, and place in muffin pan (make sure to grease pan).
10. Do the same for all 6 roses. Bake at 375 degrees for bout 40-45 minutes until fully cooked.
11. Once the roses are out of the oven you can sprinkle with powder sugar (optional).
Note: Make sure the pastry is fully cooked on the inside before removing roses from the oven. If puff pastry is under-cooked, move pan to lower rack in oven to make sure pastry is fully cooked.